West Central Initiative is pleased to partner with The Rural Schools Collaborative to provide targeted funding for Grants in Place projects to teachers in west central Minnesota during the 2018-19 school year. The Rural Schools Collaborative strengthens the bonds between rural schools and communities through place-based engagement, rural philanthropy and developing teacher-leaders. Applicants must teach in one of the nine counties that WCI serves: Becker, Clay, Douglas, Grant, Otter Tail, Pope, Stevens, Traverse and Wilkin.
The Rural Schools Collaborative’s Grants in Place program is a modest grant program that encourages rural school district teachers to engage their students in place-based learning.
We anticipate funding 10 to 12 projects in the WCI region.
Grants in Place applications should not exceed 300 words and will include the following information:
- Answer all the application questions, completely.
- Provide an adequate description of the project in 300 words or less.
- Local matching support is viewed favorably.
- Describe how the funds will be used in the project.
- Project must include some level of community engagement.
- The project must address a curricular outcome.
- The project should be student driven.
- Describe what tangible public outcome will be achieved.
Typical grant awards range from $500 to $1,000.
Applications are due by April 23, 2018 for projects taking place in the 2018-19 school year. Grant making decisions will be made as quickly as possible. Selected projects will receive funding in mid-August 2018 after verification of project intent and teacher coordination. Apply to the Grants in Place program here.